Gooney Bird Greene by Lois Lowry
Fun and easy extension activities for Gooney Bird Greene, including crafts, art, and projects.
- Food mentioned: Sushi (eaten with chopsticks), red grapes, avocado, oatmeal cookie.
- Talk about your child’s (or your) grandparents: where they live or exciting stories about their past.
- Story Elements activity bundle (Teachers Pay Teachers, $6.50)
- Gooney Bird Greene lapbook and notebooking pages
- Origami Stars instructions (I tried to find one that best matched the ones described in the story) plus written and pictorial instructions and craft ideas to make with the stars
- Tell the stories of how each of your family members got their name
- Video of Gooney Birds
- Basic steps for the Viennese Waltz
- Look up the name of your town to find other places with the same name
- Ham sandwiches and iced tea
- Talk about how your family came to live where they are (or, if they’ve been there for a few generations or you don’t know the story, tell about a time you traveled or something unique about growing up where you lived)
- The 8-step Tango
- Play Monopoly or any fun board game
- Basic ballet moves
- Visit an ice cream shop or have ice cream at home
- The Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra (online activity)
- The Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra (musical performance)
- Peter and the Wolf
- How to dance the Baroque/Sarabande
- A quick Google search for purple loosestrife since I have a child who can’t hear about a flower or bird without having to see what it looks like. Same thing for yellow cosmos and oxeye daisies.
- The Farmer in the Dell
- Have your child write and present a story of their own. They can record it or do a live presentation in person or online with family and friends. Have them try to do an absolutely true story about their life, and present it in a fun and interesting way.
- Food mentioned: grapefruit, cucumber, dill pickles, and gumballs
- How to dance the tarantella
- Book 2, Gooney Bird and the Room Mother
- Book 3, Gooney the Fabulous
- Book 4, Gooney Bird is So Absurd
- Book 5, Gooney Bird on the Map
- Book 6, Gooney Bird and All Her Charms