And the Word Came With Power by Joanne Shetler
Contains affiliate links
I really hate to suggest too much for these types of books because I feel the prayer/missions themes are stronger if they originate from the child themselves, which always makes these books a challenge to do.
Chapter 1: Don’t Let Her Die
- How to make palm tree from paper /palm tree/ Wall decoration / Paper craft
- How to Survive a Helicopter Crash (use with caution, contains many movie scenes of crashes)
- SAFE STEPS First Aid: Severe Bleeding
- How To Treat A Fracture & Fracture Types – First Aid Training – St John Ambulance
Chapter 2: I Let My Dream Die!
- Draw a Picture of Your Future Life
Chapter 3: An Isolated Sand Bar
- A Look at a Guatemalan Family from Wycliffe
- Ken and Bobbie Williams’ Lives 1 #1(Ken and Bobbie Williams are mentioned in the book, and this video shows them building a hut in the jungle camp like Joanne did, and then moved to Guatemala, all discussed in this video, there are other videos they made that all talk about their lives as Bible translators, very interesting)
Chapter 4: What Have We Gotten Ourselves Into?
- This chapter includes several meal recipes, since there isn’t much food in the rest of the book you might wish to spread a few options out over a few days and compare/contrast.
- Enjoy Mangoes and Cokes
- Soft Rice (by soft rice, all I can find is fluffy white rice, probably overcooked) with Vienna Sausages or Hard Rice (it looks like this would be one type of “hard” rice) with Vegetable Soup
- Black Beans with Canned Mackerel
- Cold Rice Wrapped in Banana Leaves with hard-boiled eggs
- Town Mentioned in Book: Nantonin (Balangao represents the teal section towards the center of the map shown at the beginning). You can see a lot of the culture such as the rice terraces, mountains, and villages. It also mentions Dr. Robespierre Lim and the helicopter crash, and the author of this book Joanne Shetler, along with some photographs of them.
Chapter 5: I’ll Be Your Father
- A Balangao Tribal Dance (note: males are wearing only long loincloths)
- A Balangao tribal dance at the beginning with thicker loinclothes that cover more, plus a scene of village life, the beautiful mountains, and more)
Chapter 6: Sacrifices and Spirits
- Most people believe in some omens, not just the Balangaos. Here is a long list of omens, see how many your children have heard of before.
Chapter 7: I Wish I Could Know God
- Have some fresh pineapple
- A shorter version of Joanne Shelter’s Life for kids
Chapter 8: You Might Get Lonely
Chapter 9: My Child, It’s Impossible
- This movie looks to be coming out soon, I have not seen that it was released yet, but you can watch the trailer, about how missionary airplanes are changing missions.
Chapter 10: Of Babies and Ambassadors
- Off-topic, but a Filipino kids’ TV show about art (enough English and demonstrations so kids can follow along and make a craft project, more than one project per video, I listed several videos using different art supplies you might have on hand already)
- Art Angel: Mga obrang magagawa mula sa clay, alamin! | Full Episode
- Art Angel: Recycling art projects (full episode)
- Art Angel: Sari-saring obra mula sa craft foam, alamin! | Full Episode
- Art Angel: The art of finger painting with Pintado | Full Episode
Chapter 11: Where Do We Go When We Die?
- A Look at a Different Bible Translation Team In Their Own Words
Chapter 12: A Church is Born
- Balangao Bible Song (quite possibly translated and sung by Anne and Joanne)
Chapter 13: This is War!
- You can support the Wycliffe Bible translations at home through prayer
- Why Bible translation is so important (5 mins) – Wycliffe Bible Translators
Chapter 14: Victory!
Chapter 15: Of Locusts and a Helicopter Crash
- Make a list of things you forget to pray for
Chapter 16: Facing God
Chapter 17: Changes
- Interview with Joanne Shetler in Balangao Part 1
- Interview w/ Joanne Shetler @84 | Part 1 of 2 w/ subtitle | Missionary Stories | Christian Workers
Chapter 18: Is This a Taste of Heaven
Chapter 19: A Gift from God
- How to do Infant CPR Baby First Aid and CPR (Note: She refers to calling 000 and 112, but in the US, 911 covers both of those situations)
Chapter 20: Reaching Out to Judea
Chapter 21: Pushing to Finish
Chapter 22: At Last–The Book!
- Have a celebration for your family. Perhaps have a dance or a boiled pig. 😉
- Here are a bunch of resources so you can read/look at/listen to part of the Bible in Balangao. Includes The Jesus Story and the Luke Video.
- And here, you can check out many other languages and their Bibles. Perhaps find one translation from a country your ancestors came from.
Chapter 23: Epilogue
- Balangao/Joanne Shelter Movie (might be intense in parts, but you will find many stories from the book here and many photos)
- Balangao Conversion Story P1/3 | Mission Stories | Joanne Shetler
- Balangao Conversion Story P2/3 | Philippine Mission Stories | Joanne Shetler(finishes story told in part 1 and includes an interview and a speech with a young Joanne)
- Balangao Conversion Story P3/3 | Philippine Mission Story | Joanne Shetler(finishes interview and speech, it does cut out in the middle of a sentence and the middle of a story, but I have been unable to find the ending)
- More Stories with Joanne
- July 11, 2021 – Joanne Shetler – And the Word Came With Power
- She starts speaking around the 35-minute mark.